One of the nearest big box retail stores to my home is closing. Many Kmart stores in this area are closing very quickly. I had no intentions of making a stop, but over the weekend I came across the signs that said “EVERYTHING MUST GO” and I was sucked into the parking lot.
When the signs said “EVERYTHING MUST GO,” they really meant it. Every cooler, clothing rack, cart, counter, etc. had a price tag on it. I had no intention of buying anything crazy, but I DID need to make a stop at the grocery store and to either a clothing store/Target/Meijer. This just happened to be on the way.
On this trip, I managed to pick up some of the following items:
- Makeup – Everything was 40% off or more and needed to stock up on some basic items (foundation, concealer, loose powder). I should be set for a couple more months!
- Health/Hygiene – This was a MAJOR HIT. Everything here was 50% or off. Since it’s obviously cold & flu season, I took advantage of half price vitamins and cough drops. All protein shakes/mixes were also half off which was AWESOME and rare. Not too mention the $1 toothpaste. 🙂
- Storage Items – Another great stash of items to be found here. I only walked with two underbed storage boxes for 30% off.
- Clothing – Everything was 50% off. Since I just completed a MAJOR clothing purge in September (I lost a bunch of weight & nothing fit), I decided this was a chance to get a couple of new shirts. I also needed tights for some work I’m doing this winter (tax deduction!) and found those in exactly my size. Also, two new sports bras ($7.99) and a regular bra ($5.99) were included in this bullet point.
Things I would have purchased if I could have:
- Paper Products (toilet paper, paper towels, etc.)
- Face Wash
…except everyone else probably had the same idea and THEY WERE ALL GONE – shelves cleaned and empty! I should have went to that store sooner!
I did get some things I wanted and some things that I needed. It’s always good when you can get your hands on some great items for very cheap. Everything I purchased was $11.50 or less! I may have gotten a little splurge-y on things, but I will be using everything I purchased very soon.
What kind of items do you like to stockpile when the price is right? Do you go to closeout sales? Tell me in the comments!
*Part of Financially Savvy Saturdays on brokeGIRLrich and
4 thoughts on “What I Bought at a Store Closeout Sale”
Sounds like you made good purchases and took advantage of sales on items you’ll actually use. Great!
I agree – I’m a total paper products stockpiler. I live in a tiny apartment in Manhattan and it’s not uncommon for an entire corner to just be a leaning pile of extra toilet paper, paper towels and tissues. I’m also all for stocking up on tampons when the price is for, they are surprisingly pricey for a wad of cotton and a little plastic… it’s because the companies know they can make us pay that much. 😛
The Kmart in my neighborhood is closing too and I bought a lot of tampons. I probably don’t need to buy it anymore for the next 2-3 years 🙂 Come visit my blog and you may find it interesting!
I’m a bad stockpiler. I never stockpile anything whereas sometimes I should because it could probably save me some money!